Please bookmark and revisit this page frequently for new perspectives as we continue to examine the effects of tax reform.
Heckerling Wrapup - 6 Top Insights on the New World of Tax Reform
MPI's senior team of experts were on-site all week, and have compiled our Top 6 Insights from the Heckerling 2018 presentations and tax law provisions, focusing on what T&E attorneys should consider when discussing the new tax landscape with their clients.
We share valuable perspectives on topics such as:
- Planning opportunities under the new law
- Buy-Sell agreements in the family business
- and more....
Tax Bill Signed into Law: What High Net Worth Clients Need to Know
MPI Partner Todd G. Povlich, CFA, ASA has already put together several pieces discussing implications of tax reform. This most recent details the impact on high net worth clients.
Highlights from his analysis include:
- Estate, Gift and GST Tax
- Personal Income Tax Rates and Deductions
- Corporate Income Tax Rates
- Changes Specific to Pass-Through Entities
- Carried Interest
- Potential Earnings and Valuation Impact
Charitable Giving: Appraisal Requirements for Cryptocurrencies
In the latest update on sophisticated giving strategies, MPI Sr. VP Elliot Rotstein examines the hot topic of the day, Cryptocurrencies. The first article in this series reviewed recent Tax Court cases highlighting the importance of following the substantiation requirements of IRC section 170. This article includes commentary on:
- Sophisticated giving strategies beyond cash and securities
- IRS guidance for determining fair market value of Cryptocurrencies
- Appraisal requirements for gifts of non-publicly traded assets
At the 2017 Southern Federal Tax Institute when details of the tax reform proposal were being revealed, Todd Povlich led a session that examined aspects of the proposed legislation. Highlights follow:
Potential Impact of Tax Reform on Asset Values
What Would Tax Cuts Mean for C-Corporation Values?
Tax Reform Perspectives from MPI
Articles / Blogs
- Heckerling Wrapup - 6 Top Insights on the New World of Tax Reform (Todd Povlich)
- Tax Bill Signed into Law: What High Net Worth Clients Need to Know (Todd Povlich)
- Charitable Giving: Appraisal Requirements for Cryptocurrencies (Elliot Rotstein)
- New Tax Law Eliminates the Alimony Tax Deduction: What it Means (Stacy Statkus)
- Senate Tax Bill Would Change Carried Interest Taxation... Somewhat (Todd Povlich)
- Senate Tax Bill Passes on December 2 - 10 Key Points (Todd Povlich)
- Potential Impact of Tax Reform on Valuing Assets
- What Would Tax Cuts Mean for C-Corporation Values?
- Pass-Through Valuations
If you would like ongoing information from MPI about the effects of tax reform, please sign up for our tax reform mailing list below: